The congregation’s roots began with the British conquest of Quebec at the Plains of Abraham in 1759.
Under the leadership of Church of Scotland Chaplain Robert MacPherson and soldiers of the famous 78th Fraser Highlanders of James Wolfe’s Army in 1759. A congregation evolved under his leadership, until his death in 1765. He was succeeded by another former Chaplain, George Henry.
With the 1763 Treaty, and the coming of merchants from Scotland and New England, the congregation soon assumed civilian status and was known as the Scotch Congregation – in connection with the Church of Scotland.
During the 1802 ministry of Alexander Spark, in response to a petition signed by 148 persons, the present Church site was granted by His Majesty George III, although it was not until 1807 that construction began.
The long-contemplated Church was dedicated on November 30, 1810, on St. Andrew’s Day, and appropriately named after the apostle. The building remains virtually unchanged but for the addition of the Vestry in 1900.