IMPERIAL BELL – QUEBEC
The programming is on the web site of the Imperial Bell
Between 1904 and 1910, a first auditorium called the “Royal Palace” was opened on the location of the Imperial. It has 400 seats and is equipped with a cinema projector. In 1912-1913 the building was sold and renamed “Théâtre des familles”. In 1917, the owner Arthur Drapeau built a new building richly decorated, in the style of the North American cinemas of the time. In 1933, a fire destroyed the theater, which was rebuilt and took the name of “Cinema of Paris”. In 1971, the cinema takes the name of “Midi-Minuit” (Noon-Midnight) and specializes in erotic films; it is the time when the surrounding neighborhood is dilapidated and has a bad reputation.
The building was transformed into an auditorium in 1996 and took the name of “Folies de Paris”. It presents cabaret-style shows. In
2003, it is once again transformed and takes the name of “Impérial de Québec”.
In February 2015, the Festival d’été de Québec, in partnership with Bell, announces that it becomes the owner of the broadcast venue, whose name is
then modified to become the “Impérial Bell”.