Québec, a fortified city
Located in Canada, the Ramparts of Quebec City are the only remaining fortified city walls in North America north of Mexico. The British began refortifying the existing walls, after they took Quebec City from the French in the Battle of the Plains of Abraham in 1759.
The wall surrounds most of Old Quebec, which was declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1985. The fortifications were designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1948.
The ramparts have four surviving gates
Porte St. Jean
Dates back to at least 1694, was demolished in 1791 because of its poor condition and rebuilt. This gate lasted until 1865 when it was demolished and rebuilt again. The present gate was built in 1939.
Porte St. Louis
Dates back to at least 1694 was demolished in 1791 because of its poor condition and rebuilt. This gate lasted until 1823 when it was replaced. It was eventually removed altogether in 1871 before being replaced by the gate we see now in 1880 by Lord Dufferin.
Erected in 1797 by, and named after Robert Prescott. It was demolished in 1871. The current gate was built in 1983.
Erected in 1879 was named after Queen Victoria’s father The Duke of Kent.